Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Horror Knitting of Max Alexander

Warning: Scary Knitting Content.



This is a new category for me... Horror Knitting You can find Max here.

 

Artist Statement:
"I took up knitting while I was studying sculpture at Camberwell College of Arts and I've never looked back. Almost everything I do now is related to yarn in some way. From stop-motion animation to sculpture to jewellery it's all about the knitting. When animating I love bringing my creatures to life, it’s incredibly satisfying to give feelings and emotion to simple pieces of knitting. The characters tend to know what they want to get up to once they get in front of a camera. They are rarely interested in following any plans I have for
them! My knitimations won Best Animation at The National Student Film Festival in 2007 and 2008 as also Best Music Video in 2008.


My sculptural work often feature slightly disturbing undertones. By bringing a dark side to wool I’ve moved into the realm of Horror Knitting. Cuddly blood and gore is rarely scary but often disconcerting. In April 2009 I decided it was time to show my yarn love through jewellery. I made myself a pair of earrings featuring a tiny pair of knitting needles with a little bit of my hand dyed yarn. Then I wanted them in another colour and another and before I knew it I had a whole range of jewellery for the fashionable knitter."

It's hard to believe that the same hands created these cute earrings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment