Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Reaching our Goals


A year ago I set a goal for myself that I was struggling with. I couldn't understand why my efforts weren't being rewarded. I decided I needed to step back, analyze everything I was doing and rethink the process. I started listening to some friends who had the same or similar challenges and I noticed that sometimes they were fooling themselves about why they weren't being successful. They thought that they could somehow cheat the process, of whatever their goal was. I thought about using their excuses/reasons as target areas for me to focus on and fix in my own process. I listened really carefully and made some new rules for myself. They are:

Focus on the goal not the difficulty of getting there.
Find expert help.
Believe in the experts plan. 
Suck it up and do what the experts tells you to do even if you don't want to.
Measure what you want to manage. 
Pick one goal to focus on at a time.
Results occur in direct proportion to efforts but not always on the schedule that you want. Be patient.
Recognize that there are many things in life that you won't like doing but you should do them anyway.
I'm not special, what works for others will work for me.
Don't be too hard on yourself.
Don't be to easy on yourself.

Have I missed any good ones that you use? Please feel free to add them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment