Friday, February 26, 2016

An Interview with...Alice Tang



Convertible Cowl-Hat


Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry. I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.

You can find Alice here and here on Ravelry.


Where do you find inspiration?
Many of my designs are inspired by geometrical shapes and origami. I am an engineer by training and see knitting as a form of architecture. 

What is your favourite knitting technique?
I haven’t designed any entrelac patterns yet but I like it for recreational knitting. 

How did you determine your size range?
I usually design according to the publication’s guidelines, unless the pattern has features that limit sizing.


Corella


Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
I subscribe to several magazines so I can see what they are publishing and can submit accordingly. I don’t focus so much on individual designs or designers.

How do you feel about the so called controversy of “dumbing down” patterns for knitters?
I think there are patterns for all levels of knitters so there shouldn’t be any controversy. 

How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?
Since I mainly publish through third parties I don’t need sample knitters.


Soft Kid Wrap


Do you use a tech editor?
I use a tech editor for self-published patterns but magazines and yarn companies use their own tech editors. 

How do you maintain your life/work balance?
I only design part time so that’s not a problem. 

How do you deal with criticism?
I try not to take it personally, as sometimes my patterns have errors even with professional tech editing, and I correct them as soon as possible. But sometimes when I feel it’s not justified, I try to ignore it – although it’s difficult sometimes. But everyone has different tastes and ideas and you can’t please everyone.
  

Al Fresco Camisole


What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
Everyone should pursue what they love doing but they need to know that it is very competitive and not terribly lucrative. 

What’s next for you?
Continue doing the same thing. I enjoy the part time pace of my work.


Convertible Cowl-hat

 

No comments:

Post a Comment