Friday, November 4, 2016

An Interview with...Mindy Ross




Once a week I post interviews with interesting people about their insights on their experience of working in the Knitting industry.  I’ve noticed that every one of these individuals makes their living in a slightly different manner bringing their own unique presence to the knitting world.


You can find Mindy here on Ravelry. 


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/early-morning-rain

Where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration from almost anywhere. I love shapes & colors and how they blend to form their own unique patterns, whether it's in nature or man made. I found nothing that suited my fashion sense, so decided to design 'thingies' that I'd like to wear myself. Then I discovered that others felt the same, so I took my inspirations, creating simple pieces for others to enjoy as I have.

What is your favourite knitting technique?
I love eyelet and YO's (yarn over). I guess my patterns demonstrate that.

Do you look at other designers’ work or are you afraid that you will be influenced by their designs?
I enjoy seeing what others have created. I feel just as in the clothing/fashion industry, it's interesting to see what others find unique.


http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/early-morning-rain
 

How do you feel about the so called controversy of “dumbing down” patterns for knitters?
I didn't realize there is a controversy of 'dumbing down' patterns? I feel a pattern should be written in the simplest of terms to begin with, for anyone to understand. To me, I feel almost the opposite. If a pattern is 'too sophisticated' and written 3 levels above my understanding of terms, it is a turn off.

How many sample/test knitters do you have working for you or do you do it all yourself?
I try for 2 or more test knitters after I've tried the pattern once, sometimes twice myself.

Do you use a tech editor?

I do. And I cannot say "Thank You" enough to her.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/stormyk9/dangling-conversation-5


How do you maintain your life/work balance?
It's a fine line of personal life and knitting life. Knitting is a calming influence when 'everyday life' gets to be a bit much. I do feel however, I've got a pretty good balance on the whole picture.

How do you deal with criticism?
Criticism is part of 'the deal', and many times I relish it, turning it to "constructive criticism". I try my best to answer each comment, no matter how severe. I learn from others' thoughts, whether it's a complement or a criticism.



http://www.ravelry.com/projects/stormyk9/giggle-with-a-jiggle-5


What advice would you give someone who wants to pursue a career in knitting?
As with any artistic medium (and YES, I consider knitting an "art") there can be a lot of starving artists out there, and success stories as well. I think for any promising knitting (or other) artist, you need the passion to go along with the drive. And you need time. I truly feel it's rare to become an overnight success. Keep looking/moving forward, while maintaining what your everyday life demands. I've learned stumbling is okay; get up, shake it off and keep that momentum moving forward.





What’s next for you?

I've got a little bit of a "stepping stone" in my personal life, for now. But heeding my own words, I will move forward and hope to design more 'thingies' in the future.

 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/weatheror-knot

1 comment:

  1. Informative interview, great advice! Thanks, Mindy and Robin.

    ReplyDelete